Bad Landeck an der Biele
Bad Landeck an der Biele is the German name of a town in Poland that was part of the Bohemian Empire and later part of Germany. The “Bad” (German for bath) refers to the natural springs located in the area. While “an der Biele” means “on the Biele”, with Biele being the German name for the river running through the town.
In 1742, most of Silesia, including Bad Landeck, was seized by King Frederick the Great of Prussia in the War of the Austrian Succession, eventually becoming the Prussian Province of Silesia in 1815. After King Frederick and other members began visiting the baths in the area, Bad Landeck became a popular health resort and remained so up until World War II.
After World War II the region was placed under Polish administration and ethnically cleansed per the post-war Potsdam Agreement. The native German populace was expelled and replaced with Poles.
The name of was then changed to Lądek-Zdrój and the river was renamed Biala Ladecka
Wikipedia articles on Bad Landeck / Lądek-Zdrój can be found in English and German.
Below are some vintage postcards of Bad Landeck and der Biele. This information is also on the Biele Family Blog