Charles F. Biele and Sons made at least two display cases for Arthur R. Wendell. The first in 1911 and the second in 1915.
Arthus R. Wendell, the son of George Blunt Wendell, bought Health Foods in 1903, and incorporated it as The Wheatena Company that year. In 1907, the company moved to a new plant, dubbed "Wheatenaville", in Rahway, New Jersey. By the mid-1920s, millions of boxes were sold each year.
The associated correspondence is located at the George Blunt Wendell Collection (Personal Correspondence, 1845-1965 at the Mystic Seaport in Connecticut.
The index entry is "Box 4 Folder 7 Correspondence between Arthur Wendell and the Charles F. Biele & Sons Co., 1915"
The documents are:
Feb 9, 1911 - Letter from Charles F. Biele to Arthur Wendell describing details for a large glass and cherry show case.
Mar 17, 1911 - Invoice for a cherry case costing $37.50. Handwritten note on invoice states "Case for model of the GANGES" (The Ganges was one of the clippers that Arthur Wendell's father captained.)
May 13, 1915 - Letter from Carl Biele to Arthur Wendell describing several options for a doll case ranging in price from $150 to $350.
May 13, 1915 - Letter from Carl Biele to Arthur Wendell discussing models made by Mr. Boucher.
May 17, 1915 - Letter from Arthur Wendell selecting the $150 showcase and giving thank for the reference to Mr. Boucher.
Jun 22, 1915 - Invoice for the $150 mahogany and glass case.
The complete correspondence in one file.
Biography of George Wendell from Mystic Seaport Library:
George Blunt Wendell (1831-1881) was born and raised in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. After his basic schooling was completed, young George was apprenticed to the counting house of Goodwin & Coues, who at that time were engaged in navigation. However, in 1847 he commenced his seafaring career as a cabin boy aboard the Ship JOHN CUMMING, and 3 years later became first mate for a voyage in the Ship JOHN HAVEN. Wendell's first command was the Ship PISCATAQUA in 1853, after that he commanded the Ship GRANADA, and the Clippers GANGES, BENARES, and GALATEA. He was employed by William S. Bullard & Co., and later by William F. Weld & Co. of Boston. Captain Wendell commanded the respect and confidence of both employers primarily because of his successful voyages and close application to the business entrusted to his care. It was often that a ship master was found to be a thorough seaman and smart navigator, but a poor merchant. Wendell however, used his mercantile knowledge obtained in the counting house to good advantage, and his voyages usually proved profitable for the vessel's owners and himself. George Blunt Wendell retired from the sea in 1863 and later became a partner in the Quincey Granite Works, which he controlled at the time of his death in 1881.